Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thing 15 - Web 2.0 Perspectives

I read two articles. The first was Icebergs. I tend to agree with some of the author's points. The past few years, I have been ordering much less nonfiction that kids would use for research. Examples would be science fair ideas, history projects, etc. Students would much rather use the web, although sometimes they are surprised when I show them a book with exactly what they are looking for. That being said, I don't think anything will ever replace a book for those who love to read. In the words of one of my 6th grade students when she opened a new book for the first time, " Did you heard that? Nothing is better that opening a new book!" My kids and even my husband think I should consider Kindle, but I just love holding that book in my hand.

I also read Temporary Place. In the words of the author, "What are libraries? Libraries are not just collections of documents and books, they are conversations, they are convocations of people, ideas, and artifacts in dynamic exchange. Libraries are not merely in communities, they are communities: they preserve and promote community memories; they provide mentors not only for the exploration of stored memory, but also for the creation of new artifacts of memory. What was the library of the past? A symbol of a society that cared about its attainments, that treasured ideas, that looked ahead multiple generations. Librarians were stewards, trainers, intimate with the knowledge base and the minds who produced it. Librarians today are not just inventory management biobots: they are people with a unique understanding of the documents they compile and catalog, and the relationships among those documents." I totally agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment