Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Thing 22 - Audiobooks

Just call me old fashioned, but I never really considered using audiobooks, not even when I'm in a car, on a trip. To me, nothing beats having the book in my hand. I stated this before in one of my other blogs. I appreciate the fact that a lot of people love them, but to me, reading is sitting in my favorite chair, relaxing, and doing what I love most. I just can't imagine me listening to a book while I'm cleaning or driving, or anything else. I do love my I Pod to listen to my favorite music, but not for a book. Of the audiobook services, I liked Overdrive best. I even found some titles I would like to check out! I did purchase one e book last year for my library, but Follett says a special program has to be on the computer to run it. I'm going to look into that when I get back to school. I think using e books in the classroom would be very useful. I love our public library site and use it just about every day, but just saw the link to Overdrive. Just another great service for those interested in audiobooks. I'm not sure how much kids would like them. The Playaways I purchased last year were a big hit in the beginning, but as the year progressed, they were checking them out less and less. When I asked, one of my students said they took too long - I can read faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment